Sorry guys for the long delay... Lots of stuff going on but here is the latest Cubs talk-
- The Cubs have released So Taguchi. No shock there.
- Neal Cotts wants to pitch next season whether or not the Cubs tender him.
- Carrie Muskat said yesterday that the Cubs have asked the Rangers for permission to talk to Rudy Jaramillo. The Cubs are likely to add him as their hitting coach. He is a perfect fit and it seems the Cubs are even willing to over pay for his services.
- The Cubs are discussing a deal with many teams regarding Milton Bradley but no deal appears imminent.
- Jon Heyman has the Cubs a possible landing spot for Billy Wagner.
- Don't Laugh but I have heard from a couple of sources that the Red Sox are one of the teams interested in Milton Bradley. In fact one said that the Sox wanted to make a run at him last season as insurance for J.D. Drew and the struggling David Ortiz but backed off when he wanted more than an one year deal. Would the Sox trade Dice-K and the 28 million left on his contract for troubled but talented outfielder Milton Bradley and the 21 million left on his contract?
I would say yes! The Red Sox have already considered trading Dice-K at the deadline this year and said they would entertain offers for him during the offseason. Dice-K has a no-trade clause but may be willing to waive it to go to a team like the Cubs. There would be a familiar face in Fukudome (which could also benefit the Cubs) and the Red Sox would also be saving 7 million by trading him for Bradley. They could then use that 7 million to re-sign Jason Bay, make a run at Matt Holliday, or another top tier free agent. All the while they would get a guy who has a lifetime .277 AVG and .371 OBP even after the awful season he had with the Cubs. Yes, the Red Sox may have some chemistry issues with Bradley but they put up with Manny for years didn't they?! Milton would provide the Sox with an everyday DH and spot starter in the outfield. They could evenuse him in a platoon role with Ortiz since Bradley smashes lefties. I see this as more of a win for the Sox than the Cubs.
On the Cubs end of the deal they do take on another big contract pitcher which is not to exciting. But with Dice-K in the NL Central I expect his numbers to look a lot better than his numbers in Boston. Even though his numbers in Boston were not that bad. Mats would fit in the rotation nicely whether he is a 3rd or 5th starter. Not to mention the Cubs would be getting rid of clubhouse cancer Milton Bradley and strengthening their rotation while doing it.
I honestly believe this is a realistic deal for both sides and Jim and Theo should read this idea and get it done.