- Andy MacPhail, Brian Roberts, and his agent met yesterday after the all star 2nd baseman voiced his displeasure with trade rumors and inactivity. The meeting lasted 20 mins and it is said that "nothing has changed" according to his agent. I still think the deal will get done this week!( of course we have heard that for 3 months now)
- According to Buster Onley, if the Cubs acquire Brian Roberts, Derosa would want to compete for the starting SS job. I suggested this a while back and think Dero would be great at SS and he has a better bat than Theriot. It would also let Theriot assume the super utility role and do not forget he played some center last year. Makes sense to me!
- The Cubs are still keeping an eye on Crisp and may try to send Marquis there sometime this week for CoCo.
- According to ML sources, Marquis the the odd man out in the rotation and should be traded sometime this week. Marquis will be put in the pen but will likely demand a trade once offered the long relief role. Leaving the Cubs no choice but to trade the righty.
- Lou wants a back up centerfielder bad. He does not want to go into the season with Fukudome as his backup centerfielder so look for a deal to get done soon. He also says that the guy has to be either a switch-hitter, right-handed, or at least hit leftys well. As well as play the corner positions in the outfield. I like the idea of Willits, Crisp(only if he comes off the bench), Raburn, and Lofton for that job!
- The Cubs have not had talks about Weurtz being traded. Although the Phils have interest in the young righty but don't have too much to offer that would interest the Cubbies.
- The Jays have just released Reed Johnson and the Cubs have some interest. He is a good defensive outfielder that is right handed and can handle the bat well. Could be the 4th outfielder we are looking for here is his stats-