· The Cubs traded Alberto Gonzalez to the Yankees for either a PTBNL or Cash.
· Kameron Loe cleared waivers and elected free agency rather than reporting to Iowa.
· Kyuji Fujikawa is set to return to the Cubs bullpen today and Dolis has been optioned to Iowa to make room for him.
· It is very likely the Cubs either take Gray or Appel depending on what the Astros do. There has been no talk of what player the Astros prefer. Drooling over the idea of a Price, Shark, Garza, Appel, and Wood rotation right now. That is if they keep the three that are currently on the roster.
· Mr. Kevin Gregg is the official closer of the Chicago Cubs per Dale Sveum.
· Ian Stewart went on waivers and was not claimed so he was optioned to Iowa.
· Ian Stewart and David Sappelt both deleted their twitter accounts which is not really news but it is, at least to me since I followed them on Twitter.
· The Cubs next big target just might be Masahiro Tanaka who is putting up big numbers at the age of 24 in Japan. He could be posted after this season and he is a player I see the Cubs betting hard on. Check out his numbers found here.
· Three impact prospects the Cubs should target via deadline trades are Nick Castellanos, Jurickson Profar, and Jedd Gyorko to either speed up the rebuilding process or flip for an impact player like David Price or Giancarlo Stanton.
· A source told me the Cubs would have to be blown away to trade Travis Wood and Jeff Samardzija so a trade is unlikely. But says Feldman, Garza, and CarVill are very much available.
· The closing days for Marmol are likely over as a Chicago Cub. They will try to improve his numbers though long relief and doing some set-up work in which he has succeeded in.
· Here is an idea that I have. Why not send Marmol down to Iowa and stretch him out into a starting pitcher. Just a thought. He has started before.
· Ken Rosenthal says that Chase Headley is a perfect fit for the Cubs which I just do not see. The cost of players, the lack of control, and the age of Headley make no sense for the Cubs right now.
· Did you know Jorge Soler is hitting .290/.374/.559! The guy should be called up soon to AA IMO.
Until Next Time…