- UPDATE: FROM THE INFAMOUS BRUCE LEVINE via TWITTER-
Chicago Cubs are not presently in discussions to move any of their young players .
The Cubs are courting top Japanese reliever Kyuji Fujikawa who visited Wrigley on Saturday. He is a 32 year old closer who throws in the mid 90’s and has a sub 2.00 ERA. Definitely a guy that will be highly sought after in the free agent market. Because he is a FA he does not go through the posting process.
- The Cubs have interest in Rick Porcello according to George Ofman via twitter but he is also getting attention from various other teams.
- The Cubs have re-signed Shawn Camp to a one year $1.35M deal with 200K in incentives.
- The Cubs continue to eye Lonnie Chisenhall and Nick Castellanos to fill their hole at 3rd for the future.
- Doug Glanville and Dan Pleasc will not be the next Cubs announcer but Jim Deshales has moved into the finalist round.
- The Cubs are really trying hard to move Carlos Marmol.
- The deadline to protect players from the rule 5 draft is tomorrow so each team is expect to make a flurry of moves to protect those players including the Cubs who roster stands at 39 players.
- Bruce Levine hinted on Saturday there is a big trade on the horizon with the Cubs involving young players. Let the speculation start on which team and players because he did not hint to those things. The teams/players that could be involved are the Indians with Masterson, Santana, Chisenhall, Brantley, etc; the Padres with Gyorko and Kelly, the Jays with prospects, and Detroit with Castellanos and Porcello. Either way I expect Bruce is right reading the tea leafs from Theo, Jed, and “leaked” information.
- The Cubs have signed catcher Dioner Navarro to a major league deal worth $1.75M. He will likely serve as primary backup to Welington Castillo. This also could spell out the end of Clevenger in one way or another.
Until Next Time…