Here is the latest with the Cubs rumor and news-
- In case you missed it the Cubs signed SS Enrique Acosta to a 1.1MM bonus. He is considered on the top bats in Latin America at 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds so he could move to an outfield spot or 3rd base. He is only 16 years old.
- The Cubs signed Venezuelan catcher Mark Malave and 3rd baseman Ricardo Marcano who are both 16-years old. Marcano could end up being an outfielder because of his size and Malave could move from catcher as well. Both were highly sought after international free agents and the Cubs are receiving praise around baseball for their money well spent on amateur free agents.
- The Cubs are expected to sign two of their top picks this week. Javier Baez and Zeke DeVoss are the two likely to sign while Daniel Vogelbach may take a while because of his previous commitment to play baseball at the University of Florida. I really hope they sign Vogelbach because he reminds me of a young Mo Vaughn.
- Although Quade and Hendry both seem on the hot seat, Hendry seems more likely to be gone at the end of the season.
- The Cubs front office has thrown around the idea of signing Jimmy Rollins to play 3rd base for the Cubs next season. Rollins has never played 3rd in the majors but would provide the Cubs with a nice top of the lineup switch hitter with really good infield defense.
- The Cubs have discussed internally about the possibility of trading for Hanley Ramirez and placing him at 3rd.
Until Next Time..