NOTE- I do realize that Jackson is on the 7 day DL so calling him up is based on recovery.
It is time for a change! Barring a couple of offensive outburst the Cubs have yet to put a consistent win streak together and even more so put a consistent lineup out there on a daily basis. One of the things the players praised Quade for is letting players when they are playing and where they are batting, but that has not happened this year. Each player except Aramis Ramirez has been shifted up and down the lineup on a regular basis. The solution in my opinion is to shuffle the roster. I think it is time for Tyler Colvin to go to AAA to get consistent at bats and I think it is time to bring up Brett Jackson.
A little over a year ago the Cubs brought up Castro and he provided excitement and a spark to a team that had none. I feel Brett Jackson can do the same and here is why.
- Brett Jackson would automatically fill in as the everyday RF/CF for the Cubs depending on if they move Marlon Byrd or not.
- Trotting Fukudome out there everyday is a mistake because he gets tired by the end of May and we see his number decrease dramatically as the season goes on. Add Jackson as an everyday player allows you to give Fukudome one or two starts a week and a defensive replacement for Soriano late in games. Doing this saves Fukudome and his stats for the entire season.
- Jackson adds a dynamic to this team that is basically non-existent, great speed and base running skills. He is 13 for 15 in stolen bases in 32 games. The Cubs have 7 SB as a team!
- Brett also allows teammate Starlin Castro and Darwin Barney to be set in one or two places in the lineup which would be a dramatic change for both. Young players prove time and time again if you give them consistency they are more likely to succeed.
- Brett Jackson will add more excitement to the ball park and the team thus creating a spark.
- Adding Brett Jackson would fill the need for a leadoff hitter versus righties and lefties, thus making the lineup more set. Here are two lineups I see-
Pena 1st/Ramirez 3rd
Ramirez 3rd/ Pena 1st
Pena 1st /Ramirez 3rd
Ramirez 3rd/ Pena 1st
I see either Pena or Ramirez batting third or fourth. I can also see Castro or Barney filling the number two spot. If Barney fills it then I think you have to put Castro in the 5 spot other than that the bottom can be shuffled some.
The time to call up Jackson is now! The Cubs are continuing to play mediocre baseball and I rather play it with the future rather than watch past. But that is just me I maybe wrong.