Here is the latest from Levine and other notes-
- Johnson and Perez will battle for the 5th outfielder spot on the roster. Johnson provides the Cubs with experience, leadership, and an overall clubhouse/team chemistry. While Perez gives the Cubs something Johnson does not have and that is speed. It is a toss up on who will make the team but according to Levine, Perez has options so that give Johnson an edge. Unless there is an injury, both will not make the team.
- The Cubs feel McNutt has more upside than recently traded Chris Archer.
- Levine says don’t worry about early errors but pay attention to the defense of DeWitt and Castro.
- Soriano’s legs are the best they have been since 2008.
- Coleman will likely start in AAA.
- Levine sees Koyie Hill as the backup catcher.
- Matt Szczur looks like the real deal but it is still too early to get excited.
- Angel Guzman will not be on the ML roster until he proves his arm his strong and healthy.
- Barney and Ojeda will battle for the backup infielder position. Much like the outfield battle both players have pros and cons.
- Soto feels great and wants to hit the 85 RBI mark this season.
- Vitters can hit in the majors but cannot handle a defensive position.
- Levine sees Jackson starting in AA.
- Levine thinks Silva will make the rotation.
- Levine sees Cashner as a good starter if he can tame his wildness.
- The Sun-Times said one of the two spots in the rotation is Andrew Cashner’s to lose.
- Fukudome will likely leadoff when he plays.
- Colvin will play some 1st base this week.
- The first round of cuts will likely happen on March 16th
Until Next Time…