Happy post Turkey Day everyone! Hope you are not too full because here are some left over rumors from the days past-
- If the Cubs cannot trade for Adrian Gonzalez they will turn their full attention to Carlos Pena. Pena is the Cubs top priority right behind A-Gone.
- The Cubs seem to have moved on from Adam Dunn and his large contract expectations.
- The Cubs have called on Lance Berkman. Lance is also being courted by the Oakland A’s who view him as a 1st baseman/DH type. Berkman does not agree, he sees himself as a 1st baseman/outfielder and as a guy who wants to stay in the NL. Bruce Miles stats free agent wise Lance is #2 behind Carlos Pena but other names are in play.
- The Cubs continue to talk to the Rangers about Chris Davis and he could fill the void for the Cubs next season. Davis is a power-hitting strike out machine who is only 25 years old. The Rangers are asking for Wellington Castillo or Robinson Chirinos in return which is a fair asking price. If the Cubs cannot land Pena, Berkman, or A-Gone he seems the best fit giving the price and age of Davis.
- Adam LaRoche, Lyle Overbay, and Nick Johnson also are rumored to be on Hendry’s list.
- The Cubs are continuing to look at Grant Balfour, Jason Frasor, and Kerry Wood as their set-up man vacancy. Wood seems the most likely of the three to sign with the Cubs.
- The Cubs really like Vazquez, Garland, Millwood, Harang, and Padilla for their starting rotation. Vazquez seems to be on the verge of signing with the Marlins while Garland seems to be headed to LA.
- Randy Wells spot in the rotation is not guaranteed and he could be replaced by Andrew Cashner, Casey Coleman, or Jeff Smardzija. Chris Archer will likely start in AAA next season although he could become the dark horse if they others don’t look sharp.
- The Cubs will offer Jeff Baker a contract but it will be of the take it or leave it variety.
- Don’t rule Starlin Castro to move to 2nd base sometime next season if Hak-Ju Lee looks good in ST. The Cubs have already made it know he will get time there is off-season.
- Former 44th overall pick by the Orioles in the 1999 amateur draft Scott Rice signed a minor league deal with the Cubs. He is a 6’6 lefty who has not lived up to expectations. He will add depth to say the least.
- Cross Aubrey Huff and Victor Martinez off the free agent wish list. Huff will stay with the Giants and V-Mart signed with the Tigers.
Until Next Time….