Here are some news and rumors from Levine and others…..
- Three different teams wanted to interview Mike Quade according to Jim Hendry. I would say that too if I wanted to make my hire look better than it really is.
- There are a lot of teams interested in Adam Dunn and he will likely seek more than 10 million a season for 3+ years, which maybe out of the Cubs price range.
- Jim Hendry will have to do some tinkering with the roster because his budget right now does not look very promising.
- According to some media outlets Quade was picked because the Cubs did not want to put Ryne in a losing situation. It is easier to fire Q than Ryno.
- Cashner is OK with either being a closer of the future or starter. The Cubs have not made a decision yet what to do with him.
- Quade says keeping Rothschild and Jaramillo on his coaching staff is a no brainer.
- Q would like to have his entire coaching staff in place by Novemeber 1st.
- Pat Listach and Ken Macha are rumored to be the leading candidates for the bench coach position.
- Rumors are going around that Ryno will be the new Blue Jays manager but if he does not land a manager job in the ML he will likely be asked to be on the Chicago Cubs coaching staff.
- Levine says Nady will not be back next season and he also says it was Tyler Colvin’s decision not to play first last season because he was not comfortable making the transition since the Cubs were still trying to win games.
- Levine is still lobbying for Orlando Hudson but says right now Blake DeWitt is the starting 2nd baseman.
- Carlos Silva is not creating much buzz on the trade market.
- The Cubs like Adam LaRoche, Lance Berkman, and Lyle Overbay as stopgap first baseman for next season.
- The Cubs really like Jorge de la Rosa but he will likely be out of the Cubs price range. He maybe looking for Ted Lilly money.
- If the Rangers make arbitration eligiable lefty C.J. Wilson available the Cubs will come running, the same goes with Zach Grienke.
- The Cubs may call the Giants regarding Mark DeRosa this offseason. They like his leadership, versatility, and maybe view him as there next starting 1st baseman or maybe a platoon partner with Tyler Colvin (if he plays first next season).
- The Cubs will not bid on Cliff Lee next season but do have interest in Carlos Lee to maybe play first base for them.
- The Cubs would like to trade Silva, Soriano, Fukudome, Grabow, and Zambrano but don’t know if they will find potential trade partners for them. Not to mention the Cubs are looking to shed salary and want there trade partner to take on a “vast majority” of the money owed to those players.
Until Next Time….